Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Hairdresser

Last friday after work, I went to the hairdresser to get my hair cut. Now, this isn't an especially important event for me. I get my hair cut every six weeks. The only thing unique about last week is that I spent most of the week sneezing and with a giant fever so by Friday I was pretty worn out and pretty unhappy with what I saw in the mirror (it never occurred to me, apparantly, that my red nose and puffy eyes had nothing to do with the length of my hair) so I decided I needed a change.

When I arrived in my seat at the hairdresser, I whined a little and communicated this to my hairdresser. We often commisserate about the lack of single men in Seattle for us so when I said I want something sassy but let's keep it shoulder length, she really focused on the sassy part. I watched in shock as she cut 3" off my hair which was barely longer than shoulder length -- 6" came off at the last hair cut. The result of my sasssy and shoulder-length haircut is a haircut that wouldn't qualify as chin length or ear length, it is downright SHORT!

At first I panicked, I felt like a 1950's suburban Stepford Wife. My hair didn't move. It barely curls -- there is not enough length. I considered writing about it this weekend but I panicked every time I looked in the mirror so it wasn't possible. SHORT hair! I have never, since the age of 4, had short hair!

Well - now I have gone to work and gone out socially and everyone has reacted with a, "Oh my Gosh -- it's so different. It's great. It's SASSY!" and I am slowly but surely starting to adjust to life with short hair. What's the adjustment you ask:

1. No ponytails.
2. No barrettes.
3. No braids.
4. No buns.
5. No hiding behind my hair when I am nervous.

So - there ya have it. For my friends in NYC that read this, you are just going to have to wait. I am not adjusted enough to actually take my photograph with this crazy, sassy short hair.

4 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Oh my word! First of all, I hate when the hairdressers suddenly go off on a tangent of their own - like that bad lady did when she gave me that President of the Howard Jones Fan Club haircut before I went to Australia to meet Dave. BUT it sounds like your haircut is foxy and I can't wait to see it!

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen it and I can declare without qualification that it looks SASSY!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Kristen Palmer said...

Sassy? I want to see a picture - c'mon - share it!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Soon I will share a picture... it's still a bit crazy for me to want to put it in print. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home